Thursday, September 15, 2011

"Discharged"

Today evening went to Neuro ICU for clerk cases..
There's 1 particular case which had my attention and feel..
The male patient is diagnosed with right middle cerebral artery (MCA) territory infarct + unconfirmed low grade glioma with high urea & creatinine.

The moment we checked on his GCS was 15 with orally intake written in ICU chart.. Then our supervised dietitian told us that GCS was only 2T.. The staff nurses are helping him with putting his cloth in.. Three blur blur trainees wonder why?

We asked.. Our supervised dietitian told us that the patient was going to discharge.. With inverted comma.. We got blurred.. I think i know the hidden meaning.. That kind of familiar feeling i had last time.. Two of my friends were still wondering..

Then the dietitian showed us the doctor note in the medical folder with the remark of DIL (Danger In Life).. "Patient with this remark seldom will have positive outcome.. But we still plan feeding for them.. Who know? Maybe they can recover one day." Said the supervised dietitian..
I SUPER LIKE her words & attitude loz! 

After chit chat with the staff nurse, we knew that the patient requested to wear cloth as he is recovering well able to take food orally.. And so suddenly he went coma with the GCS dropped to 2T only.. The nurses were helping to cloth on as this may can be his last word.. The GCS improved to 3T when we leaving..
Pray for you man!

He reminded me of my late grandpa..
I visited him the night before he passed away..
He asked me to feed him with chicken essential as he also having problem with feeding.. But still able to tolerate low concentration fluid.. I looked at him.. He still able to talk softly with me.. Kind of recovering well.. When i'm going to left, he keep his eyes on me.. I had a kind of weird feeling that time.. Like he don't want me to left or something to say to me.. But i didn't turned back as my dad rushed me over.. Haizzz.. I should stay that time!
Next day morning, he passed away after seeing my uncle who fly all the way back from Melbourne.. Maybe this is what people called ‘回光返照’..  

Life is so short..
You won't know when it end..
Appreciated when you are still breathing! 


1 comment:

  1. Strongly agree to this post. Life is short, cherish wht we hv now is must... A lesson i learned 8 years ago..

    ReplyDelete